Trying To Heal

Why Me? Why not me. Bad things happen to good people all the time. It's how we deal with the bad things that makes us who we are.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Perserverence

Today in sunday school, the lesson was on Job. There were some things about Job and the way he dealt with his trials that seemed applicable to people struggling with addictions.

Even at his lowest point, Job did not give up. Job 23:10-12 says: But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined. Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips, I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food. Job stayed strong and committed to obeying the Lord even when he must have felt worthless and forsaken. I think it's interesting that Job recognized that all of his trials would make him stronger as long as he stayed true to the things he believed.

In Job 1, he loses his oxen and ass, then he loses his sheep, and his camels, and finally his children. After all of this he mourned, but did not blame God for his afflictions. Even Job's friends thought that he must have done something horrible to be punished in such a huge way, so they deserted him too.

Job's afflictions were not punishment for a wrong he had committed, they were a test to strengthen him.

I don't think addictions can be viewed as something that necessarily strengthens us, I think it's the fighting to overcome the addiction that strengthens us. Te could have continued forever in his addiction without ever growing or learning anything from it. It's now that he is fighting it that he feels the help from Heavenly Father. He has learned to rely on Heavenly Father instead of his own strength. How many years went by with him telling himself that he could do it himself, and that he didn't need to upset me by telling me about his problem? It never worked. He had to let go of the pride he had and admit that he needed help. A lot of it.

It won't be easy. Job's trials were not easy, but look at what happened when he stayed strong and faithful. Job 42:12 says that the Lord blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning. I truly believe that if Te stays strong and never gives up, but continues to trust in Heavenly Father, that he will end like Job, with an end greater than the beginning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home